The manuscripts were anonymized and sent to 6 experts in Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, or Pathology, practicing in the USA, Canada, or Romania. Each jury member read all the papers and gave 1-5 points to each article (5 being the maximum grade). A total of received points for each article was made and the ranking was done according to this value. After the final evaluation, the jury decided to offer three honorable mentions and no 3rd prize, considering the closeness of the three manuscripts’ scores.
The evaluation was made using the following checklist, adapted from How to review a case report
|Section||Topic||Met or Unmet|
|Ethical practice as per standard of care|
|Title||Truly describes the core message of the case.|
Includes the phrase “a case report.”
|Abstract||Incorporates the core key message with necessary detail in a concise manner.|
|Key words||Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) keywords, core message included|
|Introduction||Emphasizes need of publication by novelty of the case or the specific adverse event.|
|Case description||Appropriate details of the case, including demography, assessment, findings, investigations and so on.|
Mentions intervention in detail or describes the dose, timing, and route of drugs.
|Discussion||Emphasizes why the case is important to medicine.|
Adequate literature review pertinent to the case.
Mentions the limitations related to the case.
|Conclusion||Implication of case with a core key message.|
List of the articles submitted for the Case Report contest and the evaluation scores:
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the prostate – a case report (25.6 points)
- Sindromul Muir Torre: lungul drum spre diagnostic (23 points)
- A doua Recurenta a unei Tumori Wilms- Pleurala si Tardiva (21 points)
- Abordarea terapeutică a metastazei intraorbitale cu punct de plecare cancer mamar: prezentare de caz (21 points)
- Particularities of cancer management in HIV+ patients. Clinical case Kaposi’s sarcoma-visceral form (20 points)
- Tuberculosis Reactivation in a Patient Treated With Nivolumab for Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: A Case Report (18.1 points)
- Laryngeal neoplasm treated with surgery and radiotherapy – squamous cell carcinoma with sarcomatoid dedifferentiation – clinical case (17.6 points)
- An unexpected turn of a diagnosis with a very rare type of carcinoma – a case report (16.5 points)
- Neurological Adverse Reactions of the Metastatic Prostate Cancer Therapy – Case Report- (16.2 points)
- Challenges in treatment and the importance of radiotherapy in a synchronous endometrial and breast cancer-a Case Report (15.3 points)
- Clinical expectations and challenges in a patient with PIK3CA mutation in current practice – case report (14.9 points)
- Management of locally advanced gastric cancer – case report (14.4 points)
- A rare case of Vater’s ampulla adenocarinoma – case report Distal Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma – Case Report (13.9 points)
- In the fight against BRAF positive malignant melanoma (11.1 points)
We congratulate all the authors and respect their effort. We also encourage them to send other manuscripts to our Journal.
The authors of the papers selected for entering the peer-review process, in order to be published in our journal, will be contacted by email in the next 14 days.